To demonstrate the use of the Live Trace and Live Paint functions for importing and recoloring hand-drawn art in Illustrator. Student-Friendly
I can use Live Trace and Live Paint to color hand-drawn artwork that was converted to digital artwork using a scanner.
- File > Place
- Live Trace
- Live Paint
- Gap Options
- Swatches Panel
- Starting a new document in Illustrator CS4 using the Welcome screen.
- Adjusting settings in the New Document dialog box.
- Establishing multiple artboards.
Use the fourth artboard of our current document to complete this activity. We will turn this document in tomorrow.
Follow along with the in-class tutorial to learn a new method for converting imported raster graphics to vector graphics called Live Trace, as well as a technique for recoloring vector graphics called Live Paint.
- After you have watched the tutorial, import the Robot Sketch 01.psd file below on to your first artboard using File > Place.
- Follow the steps in the tutorial to apply Live Trace to the artwork (converting it to vector graphics).
- Next, follow the steps in the tutorial to activate Live Paint, and use Live Paint to color in the robot.
- DO NOT use the Paint Brush, the Blob Brush or any other drawing tool to color in the robot. Use Live Paint only.
- Be sure to pay attention to the Gap Options mentioned in the tutorial, so your Live Paint doesn’t bleed out all over your artboard.
- When the robot is successfully colored in, save your document. We will finish this document and turn it in on Friday.
Sample Image File Link:
Robot Sketch 01.psd
Assigned: February 1st, 2019
Teacher Pacing Due Date: February 4th, 2019